- Earth Day protests for environmental and climate justice and against Keystone XL Pipeline, Monday, April 22nd, Noon, 75 Hawthorne St., S.F.
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) board hearing of metal melting rule on May 1st, 9:30 a.m., BAAQMD Headquarters, 939 Ellis St., S.F.
Earth Day Rally and Protests in S.F.
Monday, April 22nd at 12 noon, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) region IX office, 75 Hawthorne St., S.F.
The West Berkeley Alliance for Clean Air and Safe Jobs is one of the 62 environmental groups sponsoring this event.
At the rally, demands will be delivered to EPA officials and then everyone interested can proceed to the nearby Keystone XL Pipeline protest.
Please join us! Alliance members will meet at the North Berkeley BART S.F. train platform at 11:45 a.m. We will take BART to Montgomery station. The EPA region IX office is between 2nd and 3rd, Howard and Folsom.
Final Metal Melting Rule Hearing by BAAQMD Board
Wednesday, May 1st BAAQMD board hearing on metal melting rule adoption, 9:30 a.m. BAAQMD Headquarters – 939 Ellis St., S.F.
Under pressure from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the BAAQMD has drafted a metal melting rule.
A strong rule would put limits on toxics, odors and fine particles from foundries like PSC, as well as other scrap metal recycling facilities in the Bay Area.
Industry pressured the BAAQMD to weaken its first draft rule, but the Alliance hired a lawyer to prepare comments for the BAAQMD to strengthen the second draft rule.
Please come to the May 1st hearing to pressure the BAAQMD board to adopt the strongest metal melting rule possible.
Each month community members call the BAAQMD complaint hotline to register complaints about toxics/odors from Pacific Steel Casting Company (PSC) .
In March there were 20 phoned nuisance complaints attributed to PSC and of those three were confirmed by an BAAQMD inspector.
Five confirmed complaints within a 24 hour period are needed to generate a notice of violation issued to PSC, and then fines can be levied against PSC.
Please continue to call the hotline (1-800-334-6367) when you smell the distinctive PSC odor! All complaints are investigated, whether confirmed or unconfirmed by the inspector.
Thank You for Doing Your Part!
What you can do:
- Attend Earth Day S.F. rally and protests, Monday, April 22nd at noon in S.F.
- Attend May 1st BAAQMD board hearing for metal melting rule adoption in S.F.
- Call the BAAQMD complaint hotline 24/7 when you smell PSC’s odors (1-800-334-6367)
- Educate and organize your block about PSC, the complaint hotline and the upcoming metal melting rule